The biggest accomplice to identity theft: you
Your social security number, finances, and medical records can be stolen in just a few seconds, but that doesn’t seem to bother people. That’s the most recent finding from Experian’s recent infographic that shows that the biggest accomplice to identity theft could be you.
One of the more surprising stats from the infographic is that 53% of Americans say they don’t have to worry about identity verification because banks and credit card companies monitor their accounts. It’s true that banks and credit card companies provide identity management services for you, but only to the extent that they’re not legally liable for theft.
Key stats from the infographic
- 43% shop online while using a public wi-fi connection
- 25% have shared their credit card number or PIN number with friends or family
- 56% believe the threat of identity theft eventually goes away
- 52% believe it’s not likely they’ll become a victim of identity theft
- 52% are only slightly concern about their personal information being online
You can read the full infographic, here.