National Cyber Security Month: Tips on Staying Safe Online
We are entering the 4th week of National Cyber security month. Staysafeonline.org, the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA), and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are all focused on security within the ever expanding Internet of Things. Staysafeonline.org Executive Director Michael Kaiser writes:
“Every day, we connect to the internet in ways you may not even realize. The Internet of Things (IoT) is like an “Internet of Me”: it connects you to everything and everyone, including your home, the businesses you frequent and the larger digital community, and uses your data to help you manage your life.
- Learn how to maintain the cybersecurity of your IoT devices: Protecting smart devices like wearables and connected appliances might be different than securing your computer or smartphone; research the process for keeping IoT devices secure before you purchase them and take measures to safeguard your devices over time.
- Pay attention to the WiFi router in your home: Routers are likely the access points for many IoT devices to the internet. Use a strong password to protect your router, keep it up to date and name it in a way that won’t let people know it’s in your house.
- Keep clean machines: Many IoT devices connect through mobile device apps. Keep them up to date. You may need to update the software on your mobile device as well to keep it secure.
- Own your online presence: Understand what information your devices collect and how it’s managed and stored. Additionally, before adopting a new smart device, do your research to make sure others have had positive experiences from a security and privacy perspective.
- Lock down your login: Fortify your online accounts by enabling the strongest authentication tools available, such as biometrics, security keys or a unique one-time code through an app on your mobile device. Your usernames and passwords are not enough to protect key accounts like email, banking and social media.”
For more information on how to stay safe online check out this inforgraphic.